In 1884, Southern Canvas, formerly Carter Huff, was founded to serve Nashville and the surrounding areas. Southern Canvas was a small business specializing in the manufacturing of tents, awnings, tarps, and other canvas products. In the early 1900s, H.G. Husband moved his family from Billings, Montana to Nashville, Tennessee, where he became acquainted with the owners of Southern Canvas and began working with them at the 1st Avenue location.
Soon after, H.G. Husband took ownership of the company, renaming the company Nashville Tent and Awning specializing in making hospital tents for the Army and shelter halves for the soldiers. At this location, freight shipments were made directly from the Cumberland River.
In the mid-1900’s the business acquired Perma Shade Awning and Venetian Blinds. Due to the acquisition and expansion of the company, the business relocated to a larger facility at 615 20th Avenue North. The trend continued; as the city of Nashville grew, so did the tent and awning business. The third generation of the Husband family outgrew the space they needed to maintain the supply and demand of the business, relocating the business to 1301 Herman Street, where it remained from 1987- 2022. Now owned by the fourth generation of the Husband family, Nashville Tent & Awning moved and is now operated out of the new location at 1727 Elm Hill Pike.